Multimedia Projects are the third quarter theme in our computer classes. Here is a summary of what students have been working on:
Currently working on My Vacation, a project where students learn how to plan a vacation step-by-step: from managing a budget to creating a map of vacation plans. Scope and sequence:
- Students work with a partner to split a budget of $10,000. Students can also choose to plan alone.
- To keep track of money, students create a budget calculator spreadsheet using Google Sheets that automatically calculates their spending and lets them know how much money remains in their budget.
- Using flight and hotel rate aggregation websites, students find and book flights and hotels to their dream destination. Students must plan when they will go on their vacation and for how long, as long as it fits within their budget.
- To plan what they will do during their dream vacation, students use crowd-sourced travel information sites like WikiVoyage. Students must plan for at least 4 activities, and at least two must have cultural or historical significance. Students must also find out how much these activities cost, and add them to their budget.
- Students also must plan for how they get around when they arrive at their destination. To do this, we learn how to find information about airport shuttles, public transportation, Taxi cabs, and rental cars.
- Once plans are finalized, students learn how to create a custom Google Map with all of their vacation details (airport, hotel, activities).
- Finally, students put together a multimedia presentation using Google Slides to share their vacation plans with their classmates. In-class oral presentations will follow.
Similar to 6th Grade, the 7th Grade is planning a vacation for Easter Break. The scope and sequence is the same, but there is additional work required. 7th Grade students will also record a narrated screencast of their final Google Slides presentations.
In celebration of Black History Month, The 8th Grade has begun work on a Multimedia Museum of Black Inventors. Students are assigned an important African American inventor from history and are tasked with creating a short video exhibit explaining who the inventor is, what their important invention(s) are, their struggles, and their lasting legacy. Students will first create animated presentations in Google Slides and then record a narrated screencast. These will be posted with their presentations on a website that will be known as the Multimedia Museum of Black Inventors.
Stay tuned! I will post some of the vacation projects when they are finished.
Plans for Quarter 4:
- 3D Modeling using Sketchup (finally!)
- 8th Grade will finish Portfolio Websites
- Google Forms surveys and Data visualization
- More TBD