Mrs. Connie Buford
- 5th Grade Teacher
- Welcome to 5th grade! Please visit our site monthly for class news. Always feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
What's Happening in 5th Grade
2016-17 will be an exciting year in 5th Grade! I am looking forward to a year of learning, caring, and fun!
Welcome to Holden Grow joining the class of 2020!
During the year, we will be exploring the world outside of NDV. Places we will visit may include: the de Young Museum; Academy of Sciences; Superior Court; Cathedral of St. Mary Assumption; Concert for Kids at Davies Hall; Hyde Street Pier; Angel Island to mention a few. Field trips will be posted when they are scheduled. Colonial Day will be celebrated in May with a state float parade, tea in the library, and other colonial activities. 5th graders always look forward to Dragonville when they become entrepreneurs opening shops for their classmates to spend their earned Dragonville dollars. And let’s not forget the Science Fair in January!
I look forward to meeting parents at Back to School Night on Thursday, September 8th!
My Educational Philosophy
* Religion text - "We Believe"
- the celebration of the Christian Mystery including a deeper understanding of the seven sacraments of Initiation, Healing, and Service
- locate scriptures in the bible to interpret, discuss, and role play
- Christian Prayer: parts of the Mass; The Lord's Prayer; Prayer to the Holy Spirit; the Rosary Canticle of Mary; Prayer of St. Francis; Act of Contrition
- learn about Saints
- continue being active Christians through community outreach
* Family Life
- students explore their relationship with God, family, peers, and the global world
- develop an understanding and appreciation for the basic functions of the male and female reproductive systems
- understand and appreciate physical & psychological changes that come with puberty
* Math text - Eureka Math
- Common Core State Standards
- Life Science - levels of organization in plants and animals; study body systems
- Earth Science - study of astronomy, water cycle, weather and climate
- Physical Science - study of elements and properties of matter
- Investigation & Experimentation - ongoing experiments & participation in Science Fair
* Social Studies
- early explorers and their routes to the United States
- cooperation & conflict among Native Americans & settlers
- settlers and struggle for Independence
- state research
* Language Arts
- literature circles (novels)
- Wordly Wise - vocabulary
- English - grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, capitalization, spelling
- Writing - strategies, expository, narrative, letters, research, responses to literature
- Listening & Speaking - strategies, comprehension, oral reports and responses to literature
Classroom Procedures & Expectations
Follow the class rules.
1. Follow the R.I.S.E. Way.
2. Be honest.
- Follow the report card standards.
- Do your personal best!
- Assignments and projects need to be turned in on time. Points will be deducted for late assignments, incorrect heading, no name, and if it is not neat.
- When a student is absent, classwork and homework need to be completed within a reasonable time. It is the student's responsibility to put completed work in the late folder.
- All test grades and project grades will be recorded.
- Specific homework and classwork assignments will be graded and recorded.
- Rubrics will be used for specific projects, assignments, and writing activities.
- Grades will follow the Archdiocese & NDV guidelines.
- Students will be asked to make test corrections on tests below C-, the two grades will be averaged. Students may request additional extra credit for a grade of D or F on tests.
- In addition, students may be given some optional extra credit assignments or additional work in certain subjects.
- Cooperation is considered in grading group projects and presentations.
- Class participation is considered for all final grades.
Wordly Wise: www.WordlyWise3000.com
Math Video Lessons: Khan Academy
quizlet.com – great for review
** commonsensemedia.org (for parents)
freerice.com - educational and helps world hunger
Magnificat (Canticle of Mary)
Prayer of St. Francis
Act of Contrition